Tuesday, June 14, 2011

 I can't believe that I was able to explore Costa Rica.  I will remember this trip for the rest of my life. I experienced so many different things in just 10 days. From zip lining to snorkeling to taking a night walks at La Selva. Costa Rica will forever remaining in my heart as a 2nd home.   I wish I was back in Cahuita national park swimming with the different types of school fish than in the hustle and bustle of New York.  One of the moments that I enjoyed the most at Costa Rica was the night walks in La Selva. Even though it was so scary because it was pitch black and you only had your flashlight as a guide. It allowed me to see how the jungle comes to life more in the night than in the day.   We saw so many different frogs and snakes.  A researcher said that she had seen a jaguar there last week.  Even though I would be scared out of my life to see one, I wish our class could have seen a mountain lion. Another one of my favorite moments is when we went snorkeling. I do not know how to swim and it was amazing for me to able to   swim amongst the fish.  Everyone on the trip knows that I have a love for fish. Even though I was nervous to be in the water, I got so excited when I saw the poisonous lion fish and all of the different type of fish right before my eyes. Unfournately when we got to the 2nd reef I got sick, I took in to much sea water. But even though it ended on a bad note, I still counted as one of my favorite moments because I was able to do something that I have never done before. Most importantly I was able to swim close to my favorite aquatic animal.  Instead of looking at the negative, I look at the positive. This trip helps me to realize that it's so much easier to focus on the bigger picture and not the little negatives. It helps me to be more open minded.

It was such a bittersweet feeling when it came down to the last three days. I didn't want to leave and I don't think anyone else did.  My colleagues have grown so close to each other. It was sad to think that soon our field work together would be in the past. It was sad to know that we wouldn't be hoping on the bus for the rest of the summer to go some place new. It was like a family.  This tropical ecology course didn't feel like a class at all but more of hands on experience. It felt so free than just sitting in a class room. In Costa Rica you see all of the studies and experiments come to life.  I am so thankful that I got this oppiournity. Dennis and Susan were wonderful guides. They allowed us to explore and see what it was like to be a researcher. I hope the next group is able to experience this. As for my colleagues I wish you nothing but the best for your education career . Keep on striving and never give up.  You guys have been such good friends to me and you do have a place in my heart …. THANKS !!  lol : )

 Live ~ Learn ~ Experience

 Shantel

No comments:

Post a Comment